Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Sour Sickness

Wow - almost a year since my last post, and seems so strange that my inspiration to blog is that my sweet angel baby is sick! He has had crippling diarrhea for 5 days now and it's a struggle for me to maintain the house's sanity, cleanliness and health.
We've gotten some pretty adorable quotes from him during this time though, including my favorite, whispered like an elderly man, "Daddy, tell me about the last day before I was sick..."
Today is probably the breaking point as I factor in the missed hours from work, the exceptional winter that's holding us back from even a quick leisure stroll, and my personal health goals that can only be achieved by logging gym hours...which hasn't happened in quite some time.
Who I'd like to strangle today: Women who are choosing this moment to post articles about the negative affects of screen time on toddlers. We have consumed at least eight hours of un-quality programming each day. Today we stumbled on a new show - cheers from both my 3 year-old and I! He asked what it was about and I blurted, "Well, probably one character will get in trouble and then make it better, then someone will get sick and then better, something will happen in a park, a puppy will come in to play at some point and MAYBE we will get to celebrate a birthday if we hang on long enough. God Bless Netflix streaming and the four versions of Lilo & Stitch movies that it possesses.
Who I'd like to be today: Transport me to Summertime Jena 2007. We were living in Chicago, day-drinking beers on our balcony and feeling like rockstars eating Hot N Ready pizza three times a week. Not a care in the world!
Who I'd like to see today: My grandma Gertie passed away about 9 years ago. I'd love for her to come stomping in here with rags and bleach, ready to make soup and then watch Wheel of Fortune with me. Just like the good ol' days.

I know this day could be a lot worse. I'm incredibly thankful for my most-of-time healthy boy. I give credit to mothers of multiple children who do more laundry during flu season that Chicago has water to supply. I will get through this. I have a helpful husband, and a rat face dog to keep me in line. I have free online Nick Jr. games and DVR. I have fresh yoga pants waiting for me after the next round of sickness and a bag of salt and vinegar chips waiting for me for after bedtime.


No comments:

Post a Comment